We are dedicated custodians of Cuplahills Farm – the latest generation in our family to be caring for, developing and sharing this stunning wee corner of Scotland.
Your holiday destination at St Andrews Country Lodges is just 6 miles from the historic, University City of St Andrews – famed for the wonderful links golf courses, award winning golden, sandy beaches, boutique shops and numerous bars and restaurants.
On arrival, take some time to stand on the deck and soak up the breath-taking views and beautiful countryside that’s synonymous with Cuplahills Farm. We’ve had a new video shot that really captures the magic of the place …
Very soon the kids will be bouncing on the sunken trampoline and clambering over the playfort!
East Neuk of Fife
We’re a proverbial stone’s throw from the picturesque fishing villages and family-friendly beaches on the East Neuk of Fife.
From Elie & Ealrsferry in the west to the historic harbours of St Monans, Anstruther, Pittenweem and Crail as you travel east.
And you can enjoy the entire East Neuk coastline on foot – a section of the Fife Coastal Path that provides stunning access to the shore.
Follow this link and you’ll find the Fife Coast & Countryside Trust’s map and information for the East Neuk.
Dundee (left) and Perth are within easy reach. Edinburgh and Glasgow are just over an hour away – best visited by trains that take you into the city centre. Leuchars Station is a few minutes from the lodges – so we have easy access to the rail network.
Dundee is home to many visitors attractions including the V&A Discovery Point, home to the world famous RRS Discovery. You can visit the ship that took Scott and Shackleton to Antartica in 1901!
Rivers, Glens & The Cairngorms
The stunning Angus Glens, Royal Deeside and the Cairngorms National Park are all within easy reach – as are Scotland’s whisky trails.
If you want a day out in the hills and Glens – perhaps to tick off a Munro or two – a drive north of Dundee will take you passed Glamis Castle and on into the southern half of the Cairngorms National Park.
Miles of trails and footpaths can be explored. The weather can change quickly, so always travel with the right gear and footwear … and be prepared with food and drink to sustain your trip.
A perfect location for golfers, the world-renowned courses and facilities at St Andrews are second to none. Needless to say, all standards and ages of golfer are catered for.
No trip to St Andrews would be complete without a Sunday walk around the Old Course: and why not snap a selfie on the world famous Swilken Bridge to remind you of your stay?
We’re also blessed with golf courses galore on our doorstep – local clubs that provide a warm welcome to visitors: these include St Michael’s (10 minutes away), Scotscraig (15 minutes), Scotland’s longest course, The Duke’s (15-20 minutes), Kingsbarns Links (25 minutes), Ladybank (25 minutes), Camperdown (25 minutes) and the links courses around the East Neuk including Crail, Anstruther (9 holes) and Lundin Links – all around 30 minutes’ drive from us.
On our doorstep
We’re within walking distance of local amenities including the well-stocked village shop and the Balmullo Inn. Within our community woodland you can enjoy the wildlife, flora and fauna which changes throughout the year.
Just some of the things to enjoy on and around our farm …
Playpark: Kids will enjoy hours of entertainment in our play park which includes a sunken trampoline that lights up for fun night time bouncing, a fort, swings, climbing ramp, slide, basket swing, and push-me-pull-you.
Woodlands: Willie Melville wanted to leave a legacy at Cuplahills and in doing so created two community Woodlands now known as Willies Wood and Lucklaw Wood, both of which are a short walk from the cabins. A myriad of paths provides the opportunity to enjoy a peaceful walk through the fruiting damson, apple, cherry, rowan and elder trees. Paths lead to the picnic benches with their stunning view towards St Andrews, down to the ponds, past the sun-dial and through an enchanting hedge archway and back through along the farm tracks passing the horses on the way.
Visit the Stables: Cuplahills livery provides an idyllic home to a number of horses of various sizes. Some of these may even be resident in the paddock by the lodges. Take the opportunity to visit the stables and learn a little about the horses. The friendly owners happy to let our guests get up close and enjoy some time with these gentle giants.
Just kidding! Say hello to the goats who are in the field next to the lodges – a firm favourite, especially with our younger guests.
There’s so much to explore, discover and see when staying at Cuplahills.
On our list!
Below is a list of some of our favourite places to visit and enjoy. We have added to this over the years from guests’ feedback.
Where links are available, we’ve provided them so you can find more information either when planning your visit or during your stay. Next to each, we’ve given an estimated travel time from the lodges and each place’s postcode to help with navigation.
If you discover somewhere new whilst staying with us, share a photo or two on social media, tag #Cuplahills – and we’ll pick up on it to share with others. And if you’re stuck with any plans or need more information than we’ve provided here, contact us via this site or through social media and we’ll do our best to help. Many thanks.
St Andrews – the Home of Golf
- British Golf Museum & Cafe – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY16 9AB
- Byre Theatre – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY16 9LA
- Craigtoun Park Country Park – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY16 8NX
- East Sands Leisure Centre – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY16 8LH
- New Picture House – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY16 9AD
- St Andrews Aquarium – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY169
- St Andrews Botanic Garden – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY16 8RT
- St Andrews Castle – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY16 9AR
- St Andrews Cathedral – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY16 9QL
Abbeys, Castles, Gardens & Palaces
- Balmerino Abbey – 15 minutes’ drive DD6 8SB
- Cambo Gardens & Stables – 25-30 minutes’ drive KY16 8QD
- Hill Tarvit Mansion House and Gardens – 15-20 minutes’ drive KY15 5PB
- Falkland Palace – 30 minutes’ KY15 7BU
- Glamis Castle – 40-50 minutes’ DD8 1RJ
- Kellie Castle – 25-30 minutes’ drive KY10 2RF
- Scone Palace – 40-45 minutes’ drive
- St Andrews Castle – 15-209 minutes’ drive KY16 9AR
Open Farms, Soft Play Areas & Animal Attractions
- Barbarafield Farm Riding Centre – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY15 5PU
- Wee Kingdom in Cupar – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 4DT
- Cairnie Fruit Farm near Cupar – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY15 4QD
- Muddy Boots Farm, Café & Play Area in Balmalcolm – 25 minutes’ drive KY15 7TJ
- Noah’s at Perth – 40 minutes’ drive PH1 1QE
- The Scottish Deer Centre near Cupar – 20 minutes’ drive KY15 4NQ
Dundee – the City of Discovery
- Camperdown Wildlife Centre & Park – 20-25 minutes’ drive DD2 4TF
- Cineworld Dundee – 20-25 minutes’ drive DD2 3SQ
- Dundee Contemporary Arts Centre – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 4DY
- Dundee Science Centre – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 4QB
- Discovery Point – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 4XA
- Wildshore Water Park – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 3JP
- Olympia Leisure – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 3JU
- V&A Dundee – 15-20 minutes’ drive DD1 4QB
- Verdant Works Museum – 20-25 minutes’ drive DD1 5BT
Other activities nearby …
- Scottish Clay Shooting Centre, Leuchars – 10 minutes’ drive KY16 0DR
- Tentsmuir National Nature Reserve – 10 minutes’ drive DD6 9YB
- Elie Watersports – 25/30 minutes’s drive
- East Neuk Outdoors – 25/30 minutes’ drive plus also canoeing on the River Tay
- Kinshaldy Stables – 10 minutes’ drive for rides on the beach at Tentsmuir or trekking in the Forest
Food & Drink – Places to Shop & Visit
Butchers, Farm Shops & Markets
- Pittormie Fruit Farm – 5 minutes’ drive KY15 4SW
- Balgove Larder – 10 minutes’ drive KY16 9SF
- St Andrews Farmhouse Cheese Company – 20-25 minutes’ drive KY10 3RT
- Cairnie Fruit Farm near Cupar – 10-15 minutes’ drive KY15 4QD
- Fife Farmers Markets – Cupar (3rd Sat every month)
- Nicol’s of Newport (Butcher) – 10-15 minutes’ drive DD6 8DF
- Bowhouse Market – 25 minutes’ drive KY10 2DB
Breweries & Distilleries
Local Arts & Crafts
- Maisie & Mac Contemporary Arts & Gifts, Cupar – 15 minutes drive KY15 4LS
- Hidden Gem Gifts, Cupar – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 4DE
- Open Studios North East Fife– various locations throughout North East Fife
- Artery Gifts, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9UN
- Tatha Gallery, Newport – 15 minutes’ drive DD6 8
Eating out … or in!
Fabulous Fish & Chips
- Central Cafe, Cupar – 10-15 minutes
- Libo’s, Cupar – 10-15 minutes
- The Fifie, Nerwport on Tay – 10-15 minutes DD6 8AD
- Tailend, St Andrews – 15 minutes KY16 9PD
- Cromars, St Andrews – 15 minutes KY16 9NT
- Anstruther Fish Bar, Anstruther – 25-30 minutes KY10 3QA
Michelin Starred/Listed and/or Rosette Awarded
- The Cellar, Anstruther – 25-30 minutes’ drive KY10 3AA
- Rocca Bar & Grill, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9JQ
- Seafood Ristorante, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9AS
- The Newport, Newport on Tay – 10-15 minutes’ drive DD6 8AB
- The Peat Inn, Peat Inn – 20-25 minutes’ drive KY15 5LH
- The Road Hole Restaurant, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9SP
- The Haar, St Andrews – 15 minutes drive KY16 9AG
- The Adamson, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9UH
- Boat Brae, Newport – 15 minutes’ drive DD6 8EX
- Bridgeview Station, Dundee – 20 minutes’ drive DD1 4DB
- Doll’s House, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive, KY16 9NN
- Forgans, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9PB
- Little Italy, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9NL
- Mitchells, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 2PB
- The Courtyard, Cupar – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 4BU
- The Press Bistro & Cafe, Cupar – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 5AH
- Pizza Express, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9NL
- Playfair’s Restaurant & Steakhouse, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9HX
- The Rav, St Andrews – 15 minutes drive KY16 9AH
- Rogue, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9EF
- The Tayberry, Broughty Ferry – DD5 2EA
- The View, Wormit – 15 minutes’ drive DD6 8NE
- Vine Leaf, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9UN
- Zizzis, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9QW
Relaxed cafés, inns and pubs
- Criterion, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9QW
- Dunvegan, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9HZ
- Fisher & Donaldson, Cupar – 15 minutes drive KY15 5JT (famous Fudge Donuts as recommended in Scotland The Best)
- Guardbridge Inn, Guardbridge – 5 minutes’ drive KY16 0UD
- Hams Hame, St Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9JA
- Kitschnbake, Newport – 15 minutes’ drive DD6 8EZ
- Number 10, Cupar – 15 minutes drive KY15 5HH
- The Central, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9NU
- The Golf Tavern, Cupar, – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 5JF
- The 19th Hole, Earlsferry – 25 minutes’ drive KY9 1AW
- The Rhynd, Leuchars – 10 minutes’ drive KY16 0DR
- The Saint Bar / West Port, St. Andrews – 15 minutes’ drive KY16 9EG
- The Ship Inn, Elie – 25 minutes’ drive KY9 1DT
- The Tavern at Strathkinnes, Strathkinnes – 10 minutes’ drive KY16 9RS
- 1B Westport Cafe, Cupar – 15 minutes’ drive KY15 4AN
Takeaways – delivering to Balmullo
CuparNow has a list of businesses delivering takeaways to Balmullo, including Chinese, Indian and Pizza. Click here for the link.
Not forgetting the ice cream!